Watch the video on the lesson:
Flow ChartI. Features of a desert
1. Very low rainfall
2. Less vegetation
3. Very cold nights
4. Strong winds
5. Dust storms
6. Sand dunes
II. 3 Stages of a river
1. The upper or the young course -
- The river originates here.
- The river flows speedily with less water
- Canyons, waterfalls and rapids are formed
- The river enters the plain.
- The speed of the water decreases.
- The river develops loop called meander.
- The river joins a bigger water body.
- The speed of the water is very slow.
- The river is formed by many channels.
- Deltas are formed near the mouth of the river.
Questions & AnswersQ1. How are mountains useful to us?
Ans. Uses of mountains
- They act as barriers against cold and hot winds.
- Rivers that originate from the mountains provide water for irrigation.
- The slopes of mountains have rich pasture lands and mineral resources.
- The cool climate in summer attracts many tourists.
Ans. Agriculture cannot be practiced in mountains because
- These regions are thinly populated due to unsuitable climate.
- There is shortage of flat land which is required for agriculture.
- Transportation is very difficult.
Q3. Why are plateaus important?
Ans. Importance of plateaus
- Grasslands in the plateaus are widely used to rear cattle and sheep.
- Some older plateaus are rich in mineral resources such as Chota Nagpur Plateau.
- Mining is the important occupation in these regions.
Q4. Why are plains important?
Ans. Importance of plains
- Plains have fertile soil, enough flat land surface for agriculture.
- It is easy to construct roads, railways and aerodromes and canals.
- Most of the ancient civilizations have come up on the banks of rivers in plains.
- Many big cities and towns are located in plains
Tick the correct answer
- About (65 / 71 / 29) percent of the Earth's surface is covered with water.
Ans. 71 percent.
- The (Himalaya / Aravalli / Deccan) mountains are young mountains.
- Several (mountains / rivers / valleys) join together to form a chain.
- The Grand Canyon in the Colorado Plateau is in (India / the U.S.A / Tibet)
Ans. The U.S.A
- The variation in physical features on the Earth's surface is called (river / valley / relief)
- Lands that have an arid climate and are barren called ( plains / plateaus / deserts)
- In the middle stage, the river develops loops called (oleanders / meanders / corianders)
Fill in the blanks
- Land covers about 29 percent of Earth's surface.
- Plains are also called lowlands.
- Hills of sand in a desert are known as sand dunes.
- A river forms deltas in its middle course.