Punukulu are a very famous snack item of Andhra Pradesh which is relished along with evening tea or coffee by the Telugu people after a tiresome day's work. Pesara punukulu or the green gram fritters are quite healthy and tasty as well. This snack item hardly takes much preparation time and is also easy to prepare. Go through the method of preparation, try out the healthy evening snack and relish the taste.
- Pottu pesara pappu / split green gram / moong daal with the green skin - 1 cup
- little crushed cumin seeds (jeera)
- little crushed pepper seeds
- little chopped ginger
- half cup diced onion
- chopped cilantro / coriander leaves
- chopped curry leaves
- chopped green chillies
- salt to taste
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Wash the split green gram with clean water and soak it for at least 5 - 6 hours. So if you want to have an evening snack item, you need to soak the dal at around 11 a.m or 12 noon.
- After 5-6 hours of soaking, drain off the water and grind it into a batter (like vada batter) with little water.
- Add all the above mentioned ingredients and blend the batter well.
- Now heat oil in a pan, make small balls or pakoras of this batter and deep fry these.
- Hot pesara punukula can be savored with sauce or ginger chutney / allam pachchadi as an evening snack.